Sunday, April 28, 2019

"Under the Scrubs" left me underwhelmed!


“Under the Scrubs” by Katerina Baker


I received this book from Net Galley to review and I have not read any previous works by Katerina Baker to compare. Reading the description, I thought this could be a great book filled with action and well developed characters. I was wrong. I made it to chapter 8 before I eventually gave up trying to be interested. 

By chapter eight, I expected to have some connection to the main characters and some details as to the plot. I knew little to nothing about Kai and I found the relationship between him and Emilia was odd. First of all, she knows nothing about this man. Absolutely nothing besides his name. He randomly shows up after tracing her phone and has killed three people but she never questions him on this. I know that he is an FBI agent from the description of the book, but there is no reference to his occupation or who he is and I’m eight chapters in. 

So, this apparently smart but somehow incredibly stupid and lacking common sense, ends up having sex with a man she barely knows and allowing him to tell her what to do. I really.. really struggled with this plot. I could not relate to the Emilia if you gave her my name and my background. And Kai.. I don’t know anything about him so feeling anything for that character was a moot point. 

At about 38% through the book, Emilia tries to withhold sex in order to get answers about Kai’s history with Taylor Moore (who btw, seems to have more character than kai, which again defeats the purpose). Emilia says that Kai would not have sex with her without her consent, but somehow he strips her naked and preforms sexual acts without her consent. Then, when he lets a little snippet of information out about his previous partnership with Taylor, he just takes what he wants from her. I’d also like to note that he says partnership and not FBI agent. So, who knows what kind of partnership they had. Maybe they were partners running a drug syndicate… who the hell knows. 

I would give this book a 1 star and that’s simply because the author actually took the effort to write the thing. I would not purchase this book with hard earned money. It would be pointless and disappointing. Sorry Katerina, but you could do better. 

AG

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEATURED POST

Why We Love Romance. . .

We Love Romance. We Say It Loud and Proud. What is there to love about romance?? The romance genre has so many sub-genres that y...

Review Request Form

Name

Email *

Message *