Tuesday, April 30, 2019

I'm Obsessed with "Deadly Obsession"

“Deadly Obsession” by April Hunt


I obtained a copy of this book from my friends at Net Galley and the publisher. I have not read any books by this author before and this is the first novel that I have read from her. I have to say that I found the description to catch my attention right off the hop. Action, serial killer and romance… sounds like a promising plot if I ever heard one. The cover was also eye catching and although it had a strapping young specimen on the cover, it was not just a man with no clothes on.  This review does contain spoilers!

I appreciate the split perspectives of Knox and Zoey. I always find that having a novel written these way allows us to see both sides and really relate to the characters. The plot is also action packed and full of great openings to develop other minor characters. I honestly loved this book. From start to finish, it captured my attention. Zoey is relatable and I admire the strength and perseverance of her character. Often we see female characters fall into needing the strong hero to save her. Unfortunately for Knox and her brother, Cade, Zoey had other things in mind. Zoey has felt as though she has been placed in a bubble since she was a child due to her heart problems and has started to feel suffocated by her friends and family handling her with kid gloves. She is done with being afraid to grab life by the reins when Knox re-enters her life.

Knox, a former Army Ranger and best friend to Zoey's brother, Cade, returns to DC after two years of radio silence. His whole thought process around feeling as though it was better for him to stay away, could have been explained a bit more, but I got the idea. His brothers and family aren’t happy to have him return without any explanation for his absence. Eventually, they all mend fences, with his relationship to his younger brother, Roman still requiring some work.

The pair fight their attraction to one another for different reasons. Zoey doesn’t want to get attached to a man who is only going to break her heart when he leaves, and he has made clear his intentions to leave. Knox doesn’t want to betray his best friend and start something that he can’t finish. But… eventually they come to agreement on “no strings” sex. Considering how intertwined their lives are with each others, I
suspected that would not be the case. Great idea - Incorrect outcome.

I love a good complex plot and this story did not fail to meet all my expectations. There is a serial killer element, which lends to some serious suspense throughout the novel. I always got the suspicion that the killer was her cardiologist *SPOILER ALERT*. There is also the surprise of Cade and Zoey’s father showing up. I did not see that coming. At. All.

Overall, I would give this book a five star rating. It was a great read and held my attention throughout the whole book. I did not roll my eyes once… well, maybe once. The whole no strings agreement was a bit ridiculous and I could already tell where that was headed. The publisher and editor did a great job finishing the product. I found minimal grammar and spelling errors. It is a well written book and it has me anticipating the next one that April will grace us with. Fantastic read for anyone looking for something more complex than the contemporary romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEATURED POST

Why We Love Romance. . .

We Love Romance. We Say It Loud and Proud. What is there to love about romance?? The romance genre has so many sub-genres that y...

Review Request Form

Name

Email *

Message *