Sunday, July 28, 2019

Serial Killer, Sexy Detective, Nerdy Anthropologist, What's Not To Love?


“Stone Cold Heart” by Laura Griffin (A Tracers Novel)


https://lauragriffin.com/I have not read any other titles by Laura and reserve all opinions expressed in this blog post to be my unbiased and my own.  I purchased a physical book copy from my local bookstore. The book presents well and I found that it captured my attention. So often when we are going through the physical books in a store we see a lot of half naked dudes on the cover, but this cover is reserved and I felt comfortable physically purchasing. Not that a half naked dude on a cover ever prevented me from buying something.. But to each their own. 

I used prescription glasses to read so often I examine the font and whether the spacing of the books narrative is good for me. The font is small in the book I purchased but it wasn’t too trying to read. Overall, it was physically a pleasant book. 

On to the content, plot and characters. First of all, I always appreciate spilt perspectives in a novel such as this one. We get to see into the mind of several characters, which includes, Grace (kidnappee), Dr. Sara Lockhart (forensic guru), Nolan Hess (local hottie and Detective), and Natalia Vazques (Hess’ recruit). All these perspectives lend to the over dynamics and suspense in the storyline. I would have liked to have seen the thoughts of the killer, but I also understand that in not doing so, Laura allowed for the suspense to build and when the killer is revealed it is more dramatic. 

https://lauragriffin.com/
Without going into specifics because I don’t want to provide spoilers, this book was amazing. It was well written and it is standard of what all Romance Suspense books should thrive to aim for. There was equal romance to the suspense aspects of the book and I didn’t feel like one outweighed the other within the plot. The characters were well defined and were interesting. I never felt like I was bored and I was always left on the edge of my seat. 


I love that Sara is a bit of a badass despite wearing a lab coat and that Nolan seems to respect this, but also sees her limitations. I would have enjoyed an epilogue to this book as I was left with some lingering questions about Sara and Nolan’s future and what happened to Grace once she was found. I think an epilogue would have helped us tie some of those lingering piece of the plot into a nice little bow. 

Overall, I give this book a 4 out of 5 stars. I really hate when I finish a book with lingering questions and I would have wanted to see that clued up a bit in an epilogue. That being said, it comes as no surprise to me that Laura is a New York Times Bestseller. This is first of the Tracer Series for me, and I’ll probably move on to “Touch of Red” which, appears to be the next! 
https://www.amazon.ca/Stone-Cold-Heart-Tracers-Book-ebook/dp/B07GNV2QCY/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=stone+cold+heart&qid=1564355399&s=gateway&sr=8-1
You can your copy at Amazon.ca or on Laura's website (https://lauragriffin.com/)

Be sure to follow us on twitter and let us know what you think and if you had other opinions about this author and/or book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEATURED POST

Why We Love Romance. . .

We Love Romance. We Say It Loud and Proud. What is there to love about romance?? The romance genre has so many sub-genres that y...

Review Request Form

Name

Email *

Message *